The Mysterious White 25 Centavos

I have recently acquired a collection of unusual errors composing of a series of odd twenty-five centavo coins. Instead of the usual golden yellowish texture, these coins are white metallic textured. I though first that these coins were intentionally dipped into zinc thus making the white appearance but my assumption was wrong, these coins were actually white plated coins in mint condition. The Bangko Sentral Ng Pilipinas could not explained how did this happen but after scrutiny these appears to be coins struck on foreign planchets or possibly planchets intended for another denomination or old stock planchets. The one dating 2001 looks like the golden plating missing but what I don’t understand is how it become nickel plated. I understand that the Central Bank is the minting this type of coin and no other planchet produced in the past that had the similar characteristic as this one so how have it become white. Definitely, I don’t have the answer at the moment and I’m still doing some researches in the archives and library of the BSP so I could later provide you with the definite answer. Meanwhile, here are the images for you to analyze.


2001 Twenty Five Centavos



Photobucket




Photobucket


1986 Twenty Five Centavos

Photobucket




Photobucket

12 comments:

This 2018 i also got a white plated 25 cents

I have found a lot of these coins an I trying to find out how much they are woeth

Try to study 2003 twenty sentimo. Struck on 2004 planchet. A possible transitional mint error. I have 2 sample on my hand, a magnetic with 3.6 gram. Very interesting cause as of writing the BSP mint not aware the error exist.

I have a 2002 25 centavo nickel plated coin.

I have a 1996 25 centavos nickel plated coin..

i have a 1997 25centavos philippines nickel plated coin.

goodday...i have a 1995 first year of minting a 25centavo silver color and also a 1995 25centavo faded color gold turn into silver color...this coin should have a metal composition of brass...is this an error coin...i can provide a pics if necessary...thanks...please help

I also have that one ,white colored 25 centavos, good thing I saw this web page now I know I shall keep it

i have one and its 1995....now im more than haapy!!

I have one 25 centavo nickel plated 2014..

i have white bsp 25 sentimo year1998 how much it cuz if i sell it?

Post a Comment